同death notice, necrology (来源：英语学习门户网站EnglishCN.com)
Martin was very shocked to see his best friend's obituary in the newspaper.
同adornment, decoration, embellishment, elaboration
The ornamentation Vincent used to decorate his house at Christmas was very tasteful.
Harry was the fastest runner, and was the pacesetter for the entire marathon.
同harmful, deleterious, venomous, noxious, poisonous
William's pernicious accusation that the company produced inferior products hurt the company's business.
同(n.) intrigue, scheme; (v.) conspire, intrigue, scheme
The three thieves plotted how they were going to steal the painting of Mona Lisa.
Exercise: Fill in the blanks.
1. Because of her hard life, the old woman's face had grown _____.
2. The man made the _____ mistake of taking the wrong subway line and got lost.
3. The mission to rescue lost hikers in _____ was canceled due to snow.
4. The artist's painting managed to capture the _____ of Japan's Mt. Fuji.
5. Their marriage was destroyed by _____gossip.
解答：1. Haggard 2. Inadvertent 3. Jeopardy 4. Magnificence 5. pernicious
同game, quarry, victim
Cats often like to play with their prey before they actually kill it.
My pet dog had to be kept in quarantine for six weeks when I moved to England.
同light, gleam, luminosity
People like to lie on the beach and enjoy the radiance of the sun.人们喜欢躺在沙滩上享受阳光。
同related, pertinent, fitting, proper
The lawyer presented information to the judge that she thought was relevant to the case.
同revenge, reciprocate, get even with, exact retribution
The poor peasants retaliated against the king because of his unfairness and cruelty.