同final, terminal, eventual (来源：英语麦当劳－英语杂志 http://www.EnglishCN.com)
"Our ultimate goal is to find a cure for AIDS," said the scientist.
vacant adj.空的n. vacuum
同empty, available, disengaged, unoccupied
Children in the neighborhood liked to play in a nearby vacant lot.社区里的小孩儿喜欢在附近的空地上玩耍。
同give up, relinquish, renounce, abandon
Our school waives its strict dress code once a week and allows us to wear what we want on that day.
Ms. Harris asked her secretary to Xerox seven copies of the contract.
Exercise: Fill in the blanks.
1. The townspeople _____ against the soldiers who had attacked their homes.
2. You shouldn't be so _____ about an old pair of smelly sneakers.
3. The broken bridge _____ their effort to cross the river.
4. Winning an Olympic gold medal was the _____ goal in her skating career.
5. The building next to my house had been _____ for several months.
解答?1. Retaliated 2. Sentimental 3. Thwarted 4. Ultimate 5. vacant