神秘内容 Loading...

Get the facts before you crack open a cold one
What's in Your Beer? (来源:专业英语学习网站 http://www.EnglishCN.com)

Beer is usually made from barley, hops, water and yeast. Low-carb versions are watered down or extra-fermented to remove sugars. The following chart shows average contents. Many imported beers and ales exceed these averages.

Can you be a carbohydrate-counter and a beer-drinker, too? The new “low-carb” beers seem to promise just that. But saving a few carbohydrates doesn’t make beer a health food, says Devayani Modak, registered dietitian at Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network. “Drinking too much beer—even if it’s low-carb or light—is still bad for your health,” she says. Why?

The calories—Beer in any form is not that high in carbohydrates. “It’s the calories you need to watch,” Modak says. “Even the lightest beer has close to 100 calories, and they add up when you’re having more than one.”

Beer drinking also tends to go hand in hand with snacks loaded with empty carbohydrates (not to mention salt and fat). After a few beers, your willpower to resist these treats is likely to weaken.

If you’re a carb-counter, don’t even think about drinking beer instead of eating more nutritious carbohydrates (such as whole grains and fresh produce). It’s not a healthy way to control your diet.

The alcohol—Alcohol content in low-carb and light beer is close to that of regular beer (see below). Consider any 12-ounce beer the equal of a 4-ounce glass of wine or 1.5-ounce serving of spirits (80-proof whiskey, gin or vodka).

“Drinking more than one or two beers a day puts you at a higher risk for heart disease, high blood pressure and some cancers,” says Diana Heckman, executive director of the ALERT Partnership.* It also raises your risk for accidents. Use the same caution with beer as with any alcohol, she says—don’t drive, operate machinery or participate in activities that could be affected by impaired reflexes and decision-making.

If you have diabetes, remember that any form of alcohol lowers your blood sugar and can cause serious health effects if your diabetes is not well-controlled.

 
神秘内容 Loading...

你可能对下面的文章也感兴趣:

·The Value of Preparation
·说英语也讲礼貌:英语礼貌用语
·秘鲁不能因为醉酒被开除 You can't fire me, I'm
·包含26个英文字母的最短英文句子
·三国演义经典英语台词:桃园三结义
·Luxury car dealers halt sales
·High-flyer 成功人士
·生命的美好
·上哪登记小孩户口? Where should we register our
·英文摘要七大法宝

上一篇:The Value of Preparation  
下一篇:翻译中选词的标准
[返回顶部] [打印本页] [关闭窗口]